Friday, October 26, 2012

Just Do It...

I have not put a lot of thought into this post, and yet it seems that it is all I have thought about! So if I ramble, I apologize. As much as I have been talking to myself ("Oh, I need to put this in my blog...") and then NOT doing it, it was getting harder and harder to sit down and do it, just overwhelming with information!

There have been lots of changes in my life. I am now living here at my mothers, actually in my sister's house, my sister moved into the big house and I moved here. So have been busy trying to move her stuff out and my stuff in. Plus a few other little family surprises. My separation, my mother's separation, legal issues, etc. AND my son is going to be a father, the baby is due in April. His wife, who has children from a previous marriage, had already made me a Grandma :) (actually I am "Granny D"!) and I am tickled pink about the whole thing.

My days have been filled with Doctor appointments, insomnia, moving, and all the little things that pop up with 7 acres of land, a touchy anaerobic septic system, and two houses, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a bird, and 5 chickens. Mom takes care of 99% of things, I am just there as back up. I take care of the more physical things like mowing, trimming, blowing fuses (not fixing them - blowing them), you know, try to be as helpful as I can.

I love this house, I can get through most of the house in my wheelchair, the bathroom is HUGE (and anyone in a wheelchair or has a family member in one knows what a blessing that is!) but it needs to be re-painted. My sister has a penchant for blues and grays, whereas I lean more towards earthy browns and reds, so painting is in the plans... eventually. More structural tasks are also in the works... eventually. Everything is prioritized etc, but there are so many variables involved there was no point in me trying to make the list according to need. So when the stars align (i.e.: money, health, time) it will get done... eventually :)

Maui, a new addition to our menagerie, is somewhat responsible for filling my days:

Mom saw her at the pound when she was there to adopt a kitten in August, and told me about her. We went straight back to the pound (20 minute drive one way) and got her. It was love at first sight. The Officer? took me back to her cage and tried to get her out and he backed off real quick and said "well, her nails work!" I asked if I could pet her and he said "sure, just be careful." I went up to her; petted her, and asked her if I could pick her up. She came right up to me! I picked her up, and she started purring. That was it. She never made it back in to the cage.

Now she is sick, she stopped eating, and went from 12 lbs to 8 lbs and got to stay for 2 nights in a new cage, at the vets. I couldn't take it anymore and talked with the Doctor and asked if I could bring her home. He said I would have to feed her 4-5 times a day using a plunger and some special food, and that if that did not work he would have to put in a feeding tube.

We made it work. For the last 3 weeks I feed her every 4-5 hours, give her her meds, and as much loving as she will let me. Even though she is still not eating on her own, she is acting like a cat again! Chasing moths, birds, sleeping on whatever soft and/or warm item she can find (including the computer when I need to use it). It's great. Even Maddie (my dog that might as well be my child, another stray) doesn't mind her!

Bless you all and thank you so much for your patience and hanging in there through the silence. EW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated and I try very hard to reciprocate!